Quantity Surveyor Opening
Posted January 15, 2018
Make are looking for an ambitious Quantity Surveyor to join our office team in Bristol.
Who are Make?
Make is a creative construction business based in Bristol working across the South West. We undertake several roles including main building contractor, architect and developer.
Make was started to create a happy place to work where everyone has an equal voice and a shared vision to deliver buildings we can be proud of. Every project is based upon the simple principles of being honest and creating an enjoyable environment.
We are looking for someone to join us in a commercial capacity who can relate to the above and contribute to the positive business we have built.
What we are looking for?
This is more than an average surveyor role; the job title and role will be tailored to reflect the experience of the successful individual.
Working alongside the director, office and project teams, you will be involved in establishing and implementing a robust commercial process for the business. Your key duties will cover:
- Cost planning for building, architecture and development arms
- Procurement of trades and consultants
- Buying of materials and supplies
- Contract administration
- Cost control of projects
- General administration
The key selection criteria will be the character and personality of the individual, rather than solely experience. Whilst it is essential you have had some exposure to the construction industry, this role is open to both assistants looking to take a step up, or an experienced surveyor looking for the opportunity to oversee the commercial interests of a growing regional business.
Depending upon your experience, we are looking for you to influence/grow into the following areas:
- Wider business finances and cash-flow management
- Work winning
- Contract negotiations and legal advice
- Expanding and managing supplier, subcontractor and consultant supply chain
Specifics of this role:
- You will report directly to the Make Directors.
- The role will be based in our Bristol office but will include regular visits to projects on site and to clients.
- You will attend formal progress meetings with the project lead and client to ensure cost and contract issues are being dealt with promptly and professionally.
- You will build and maintain excellent working relationships with our clients.
- Your role will involve supporting multiple sites concurrently.
- You will act as key liaison between the Directors and the projects.
- You are expected to be flexible and will not be limited to the duties of a typical surveyor.
- You will be equally tasked with creating an enjoyable and rewarding work environment. It is crucial every team member takes responsibility for creating a positive work environment.
We are looking for:
- Above all, great communication skills.
- At least 3 years’ experience in industry or in a related field.
- Professional qualifications in a construction or finance related field.
- Member or working towards professional accreditation (such as RICS or CIOB).
- Hold a valid CSCS card.
- A full UK driving licence.
- Based in Bristol/Bath or surrounding area.
- A great eye for detail.
- Someone who has the desire to grow into a leading role, but who retains the skill to be hands on and willing to muck in.
- A team player who wants to be involved in establishing and growing a business.
- Someone who is self-motivated, and can think and work beyond processes and procedures.
- Stating the obvious, a good understanding of basic QS duties, good IT skills and a good knowledge of the construction industry.
What we can offer?
In return for the above, we will provide a competitive salary and the potential for a leading role in the business. We will provide a varied project base and an enjoyable environment to work in.
If you are interested in this role, please send your CV and a covering letter, with references and details of previous project experience to firstname.lastname@example.org.