MAKE FINANCE MANAGER
We are MAKE, a creative construction business based in Bristol. We work across the South West and occasionally a little further afield.
MAKE was started to create a happy place to work where everyone has an equal voice and a shared vision to deliver buildings we can be proud of. We would like someone who can relate to the above to join us in a finance role and contribute to the positive business we have built.
It is very important to us that we don’t morph into being a conventional contractor, we work hard to make sure our work environment and working practices push the boundaries of traditional contractors.
We have a very secure business with work already secured beyond the next year. We understand the market we work within, we work to our strengths and continue to look for sustainable growth over the coming years.
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
We are looking for someone to oversee our finances, both from an admin and strategy point of view.
As the business grows, we need to ensure we have control of our daily finances, and crucially can add some structure to how we forecast our cash position.
Working closely with our quantity surveyors, we think you will be responsible for or have engagement with (in no particular order):
- Managing our Xero accounts.
- Processing pay roll.
- Weekly subcontractor and trade payments.
- Managing our Construction Industry Scheme payments.
- VAT returns.
- Corporation tax strategy.
- Annual accounts
- Managing our cashflow.
- Cost reporting and feedback of costs to project teams.
- Profitability reports on projects.
- Team expenses.
- Overhead reporting.
- Administration of all receipts and paperwork.
- Subcontractor order and payment validations.
- Material buying.
- Support to project surveyors.
- Support in estimating new projects.
As a business we use Xero software, it’s pretty fundamental you know your way around Xero and can help us to maximise its potential. An exciting part of the role will also be to explore how we can better integrate our project costs, quotations and end projections with our accounts, be that through alternative working practices or software.
This isn’t a narrow role, in addition to the above we are seeking someone who is able to roll their sleeves up and help us improve, wherever that may be within the business. That could be in helping to oversee other office duties or other areas of the business such as HR.
It is vitally important that whoever joins us brings energy and positivity to the work atmosphere. This role especially will require great communication and person skills, and whilst to a point we can see past your experience and training, you must be able to demonstrate these traits.
We believe this is a full time role and will be based in our Bristol office, however there will be flexibility to how and where you can complete the role.
Things we are looking for in you:
- Have a recognised accounting qualification and experience of managing business accounts.
- Be great with numbers and have a strong eye for detail.
- Don’t mind doing the admin associated with the finances, as well as the strategic work.
- Find communicating with people easy.
- Ability to bring some energy to the role and be a positive influence around the office.
- Not shy to get away from the desk and get out to visit our projects and support our site teams.
- Have some really top notch IT skills (we use Mac’s and Xero).
- To take ownership of the finances and be willing to continually explore ways to improve how we control money.
We are happy to support our employees with training, but it is important that you have the basics (accounting qualification/experience of accounts) to be considered for this role, we are not looking for someone completely new to the role.
As long as you can hit the above basics, most of the emphasis will be placed upon what you are like as a person, the experience will be secondary, to a point. Our business is founded on people being honest, having integrity in their work and wanting to work in an enjoyable work environment, hopefully you will relate to this and find a way to convince us you will be a good fit.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER
We like to think we have created a creative, rewarding and enjoyable work environment for everyone at MAKE.
Maintaining this will be a challenge through this period and your role will be central to the development of our culture.
Upon joining us you will receive:
- A good salary.
- A Nest pension scheme.
- A MacBook Pro, iPhone and iPad.
- 25 days annual leave, plus bank holidays.
- Business travel expenses.
- Financial support and incentive towards professional accreditations.
- Annual professional subscription allowance.
- A bespoke and well-funded training plan.
- Regular social and professional events.
- A modern working environment.
- The flexibility to manage your own time.
IS THIS YOU?
If the role sounds of interest and you believe you fulfil the criteria we are looking for, we would love to hear from you.
We would ask that you return the following to MikeTeeling@makegroup.co.uk:
- A covering letter explaining your suitability for the role, a taster of how you would go about the role and finally a bit about you.
- A current CV tailored to show how it fits with this role.
This is really important – any applications that fail to include all of the above shall be discounted. If you have any further questions please call Michael on 07841753883. Good luck with your application.