Make are recruiting
Posted September 18, 2019
“Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do” – Steve Jobs
At Make, we love what we do.
Who are we?
We are a creative construction business based in Bristol working across the South West. We undertake several roles including main building contractor and developer, and are looking to expand our team.
Make was started to create a happy place to work where everyone has an equal voice and a shared vision to deliver buildings we can be proud of. We would like someone who can relate to the above to join us in a project coordination capacity and contribute to the positive business we have built.
What are we looking for?
We are looking for a confident, self-motivated individual to take on a joint surveying and management role to help grow our company. The role will involve elements of quantity surveying, design management and on-site management across a variety of projects.
Working alongside the directors, office and project teams, you will be based mostly in the office, with occasional daily management cover on site. Your role will encompass three key areas:
- Surveying – Working with our commercial team in the procurement of trades and materials, undertaking contract administration duties, tendering for new projects and preparing new bid submissions.
- Design Management – Managing the design team, coordinating design issues, managing client decisions, ensuring we are always ahead of site works.
- Site Management – Assisting the site teams with coordination issues, project planning, client management and occasional site cover.
This is a project coordination role, where you will be expected to show flexibility with your role adjusting to the needs of the business and project.
Specifics of this role:
- You will report directly to the Make Directors.
- The role will be based in our Bristol office but will include regular visits to projects on site and to clients. You will also be expected to assist with providing site management cover on site.
- You will attend formal progress meetings with the project lead and client to ensure cost and contract issues are being dealt with promptly and professionally.
- You will build and maintain excellent working relationships with our clients.
- Your role will involve supporting multiple sites concurrently.
- You will act as key liaison between the Directors and the projects.
- You will often be the lead point of contact with the design team and specialists.
- You will need to promote our health and safety standards.
- You are expected to be flexible and will not be limited to the duties of a typical surveyor or site manager.
- You will be equally tasked with creating an enjoyable and rewarding work environment. It is crucial every team member takes responsibility for creating a positive work environment.
This is a unique role that will be central to our business, whilst a long history of construction experience is not essential, you should have some experience of construction or a related industry. You will need to have a good technical knowledge and be very comfortable dealing with commercial aspects.
The ideal candidate will have:
- The ability to motivate self and others
- Attention to detail
- Sense of humour
- A positive can-do attitude
- Reliability and integrity
- Good standard of written and spoken English
- Working knowledge of MS Office Suite
- Full UK Driving licence
- A base in the Bristol/Bath area
Whilst not essential, it is expected that you will hold a degree in a related field and have some work experience of the construction sector.
The required training for the role can be provided for the right individual, though if you hold a CSCS accreditation, SMSTS certificate and First Aid at Work qualification that would be beneficial. Stating the obvious, a good understanding of basic QS duties, good IT skills and a good knowledge of the construction industry would also be useful.
What we can offer?
Make want to create a place where people want to work, and aim to provide a creative, rewarding and enjoyable environment. With this in mind we offer:
- A competitive salary
- Pension scheme
- MacBook and iPhone
- Business travel expenses
- CPD allowance and training
- Make-branded clothing
- A supportive team of colleagues with a shared passion for cake and well-designed buildings that will stand the test of time.
If the above sounds of interest, we would love to hear from you at email@example.com. Please send us your CV (including a covering letter) and tell us how your experience and qualifications make you the person Make are looking for.